Lost Washington: The Empress Theater
The Empress was located at 416 9th Street, NW, and opened in 1910 for motion pictures. It was a 400 seat house designed by architect B. Frank Meyers. It was completely renovated in 1915 after only 5 years of service.
In November of 1920, the Empress Theater was sold to Marcus Notes, and on February 1, 1936, two film operators were burned and a panic narrowly averted when a fire broke out in the projection room.