Then and Now: Lincoln Theatre
Then: Built in 1921, the Lincoln Theatre was designed by Reginald W. Geare. It was a 1,200 seat theatre, and hearkens to the days of segregation, when it was used exclusively by black audiences. The Lincoln Theatre was eventually converted to a movie theater, which it remained until 1983, when it was closed (Photo ca. 1937).
Now: In 1994, the theatre was purchased and once again converted into a venue for live theatre. Occasional film use continues as it was used for the Reel Affirmations 17th Annual International Gay and Lesbian Film Festival in October 2007.