The three second empire homes that once bordered the north side of Farragut Square were designed by Adolph Cluss and erected in 1873. Along with Logan Circle, Dupont Circle, and 16th Street, this section of K Street was among the most prestigious residential areas in the city during the last part of the 19th century.
Shepherd’s Row takes its name from District of Columbia Governor Alexander R. Shepherd, who resided in the home on the northeast corner of K Street and Connecticut.
The other two homes were owned by Adolph Cluss (center) and Hallet Kilbourn (northwest corner of 17th & K). The residential neighborhood remained largely intact until the 1920s, when many of the grand homes began to be converted to offices.
Shepherd’s Row was ultimately razed in 1952.