Billy Simpson’s House of Seafood and Steaks: A 2009 National Register of Historic Places Recipient
Recently, the Washington Business Journal reported that 16 District properties had achieved historic status. Among them was Billy Simpson’s House of Seafood and Steaks located at 3815 Georgia Avenue, NW, which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on March 17, 2009.
The two-story building was constructed in 1923 as one of a row of four nearly identical attached brick commercial/residential buildings on the east side of Georgia Ave. All four buildings still exist today.
The structure at 3815 has been altered from its original design over the years. There was a fire in 1947 which may be responsible for the destruction of the original storefront. The change to the Tudor style, including herringbone and basket-weave patterned brick, simulated leaded-glass windows, and the use of false half-timbering may date to 1956 when Kushner’s Restaurant changed to Billy Simpson’s House of Seafood and Steaks.
Billy Simpson’s is historically significant for playing a notable role in the social and political culture of the District of Columbia’s African American community. The restaurant was frequented by many notable people in politics and government, and the owner, William W. “Billy” Simpson, was an avid supporter of civil rights and anti-war causes.
The entire National Register of Historic Places paperwork on this property, which includes the historic images found here, can be found by going here>>
(Edith and Billy Simpson. On the ceiling is a light up map of Africa)