This Date in History
August 1, 1911: The cornerstone of the Sherwood Presbyterian Church, Twenty-second street and Rhode Island avenue northeast, was laid at 7:30 p.m. The Rev. R.H. Johnson, pastor of the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, preached. After the sermon the stone was lifted in place by A.T. Howerson, the contractor, and John F. Duncan, one of the elders of the church.