Archive for the Libraries Category

This Date in History

Posted in City Services, Libraries, May with tags on May 31, 2009 by Kent

May 31, 1930: A total of $704,572 was the estimate required to carry out plans for extension of public library service during 1932, as reported by public librarian George F. Bowerman to the District Commissioners when submitting his new budget.Carnegie Library

Advertisements

This Date in History

Posted in April, Libraries, People on April 5, 2009 by Kent

April 5, 1899: Herbert Putnam, the newly-appointed Librarian of Congress, who succeeded John Russell Young, made his first appearance at the Library and took formal charge of his office. Mr. Putnam arrived in Washington the previous day and called upon President McKinley, but did not go to the Library at that time.herbert-putnam

This Date in History

Posted in April, Libraries, Prints on April 2, 2009 by Kent

April 2, 1927: The Library of Congress’ memorial exhibition of Joseph Pennell (1857-1926) opened. Though a number of Pennell exhibitions had recently been shown in New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland and elsewhere, the Library of Congress’ was one of the largest and covered a wider range of his activities.Sunset from Williamsburg Bridge (Joseph Pennell)

Takoma Park Library Nearly Renewed

Posted in Libraries, Takoma Park on March 6, 2009 by Kent

takoma-park-libraryAfter 5 months, and $1.95 million, the Takoma Park branch library is nearly ready to reopen. Being built in 1911, the Takoma Park building is the oldest library in the Districts system. The renovation was part of a $55 million citywide effort to transform the city’s library system.

The library will reopen next Tuesday. For more information, you can read the Post article here>>

(Image courtesy Historical Society of Washington, General Photograph Collection, Takoma Branch of the Washington Public Library, #CHS 10148)

Lost Washington: Library @ Soldiers’ Home

Posted in Libraries, Lost Washington, Petworth, Victorian on February 22, 2009 by Kent

Its a true shame that the library at the Old Soldiers’ Home is long gone. Built in 1877 at the corner of Rock Creek Church and Harewood Roads, NW, it was an extremely fine example of the American Stick style, and rare for Washington.

While it was originally intended to be a clubhouse, it was decided to change it to a library during construction, which allowed the transfer of the library from Scott Hall and the freed up space to be converted to much needed bedrooms.

The building was expensive to build, and proved to be expensive to maintain. Because of this, the board of commissioners of the Soldiers’ Home passed a rule shortly after its completion that all future buildings on the grounds would be designed by military architects.

In 1910, when the library was overflowing with 8,000 volumes, the commissioners decided to build Grant Hall on the site of the library, and razed it. The library was transferred back to a new location in Scott Hall. soldiers-home-library

This Date in History

Posted in January, Libraries on January 30, 2009 by Kent

January 30, 1815:  The Library of Congress — destroyed when the British burned Washington — was reestablished with Jefferson’s personal library containing 1500 volumes.library-of-congress-jeffersons-library