August 7, 1925: With a simple, impressive ceremony local Sons of the Revolution observed the 182nd anniversary of the birth of Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene with the placement of a wreath on his statue in Stanton park. Maj. Gen. John L. Hines, deputy chief of staff, laid the wreath in the name of the order.
Archive for the August Category
August 6, 1922: When Policeman R. L. Jones, of the Eighth precinct, went to the home of Mrs. Julia Kidd, 56, of 224 1/2 Quincy place, to arrest her on a charge of disorderly conduct, he encountered dual opposition that for a moment almost baffled him. He had plenty to do when Mrs. Kidd resisted, he reported, but when her fox terrier dog executed a flank attack, the hard-pressed cop completed his task only by sheer heroism. Mrs. Kidd eventually was taken to the station, to be charged with disorderly conduct, assault and possession of an unlicensed dog. Jones went to Freemen’s hospital for treatment.
August 5, 1927: A project to replace the Virginia abutment of Chain Bridge with a temporary abutment estimated to cost $39,000 was placed under way by the engineering department of the District government.
August 4, 1942: While formal charges were placed against Sports Promoter Ray C. Alvis for illegally employing a 17-year-old girl in the Riverside Stadium “walkathon,” the Washington Federation of Churches’ committee on civic affairs sent a protest against the spectacle to the District Commissioners, urging that they seek “congressional legislation prohibiting walkathons and similar exhibitions in the District.”
August 3, 1931: The second hottest day of the 1931 summer descended on Washington, sending fourteen heat victims to the hospital and playing havoc with 175 prisoners in a small cell block at Police Court. The maximum temperature was 98 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, exceeded once before that summer by 1 degree, on July 20.
August 2, 1909: Park View easily beat Petworth in the Suburban League before a large crowd. The winners hit the ball hard and at opportune times. Six two-base hits were made. Several of these would have gone for triples, but a ground rule limited all hits to two bases.
August 1, 1911: The cornerstone of the Sherwood Presbyterian Church, Twenty-second street and Rhode Island avenue northeast, was laid at 7:30 p.m. The Rev. R.H. Johnson, pastor of the Chevy Chase Presbyterian Church, preached. After the sermon the stone was lifted in place by A.T. Howerson, the contractor, and John F. Duncan, one of the elders of the church.