Archive for presidential transportation

Lost Washington: The U.S.S. Dolphin

Posted in Lost Washington, Ships with tags , on July 23, 2009 by Kent

USS Dolphin
The U.S.S. Dolphin was built by John Roach & Sons, Chester, Pennsylvania. She was launched on April 12, 1884, and commissioned December 8, 1885. The dispatch vessel of 1,465 tons was commanded by Henry W. Lyon.

The ship carried the flag of the President and Secretary of the Navy for 12 years and carried more distinguished guests than any other boat in the U.S. Navy. In this regard, it is considered the second ship to be used as a presidential yachts.

The U.S.S. Dolphin was one of the first modern ships constructed for naval service in the U.S. During the Spanish-American War it was transformed into a war-vessel and at Guantanamo Bay, along with the U.S.S. Marblehead, the U.S.S. Dolphin protected U.S. Marines from defeat.

Advertisements