Steamer Charles Macalester
With a capacity between 1600 & 1700, the iron steamer Charles Macalester was christened by Mrs. Lily Macalester Laughton, regent of the Mount Vernon Ladies’ Association of the Union in honor of her father. It was constructed in 1889 in Wilminton, Delaware, expressly to transport tourists between the 7th Street wharves and Mt. Vernon. Having a cafe on board, the Charles Macalester was operated by the Mount Vernon and Marshall Hall Steamboat Company, which advertised as the only company permitted to sell tickets of admission to the grounds and mansion of Mt. Vernon.
The timetable at the time this postcard was printed was:
For Mt Vernon: leaves 10:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. from May 1st to November 1st
Leaves 10:00 a.m. and 1:45 p.m. from November 1st to May 1st.