Archive for history
Below is the list of what was planted in the square in 1886.
Another interesting image is this one from the first quarter of the 20th century showing the style of the gas lamps that once graced the park.
July 29, 1922: According to an announcement made by the office of D. J. Dunigan, three groups of houses at Grant Circle on Varnum and Fourth streets had been completed. The homes were of brick construction, contained six and eight rooms, and had all the newest conveniences. The moderately priced homes were on deep lots, with some even having large brick garages in the rear.
Mr. Dunigan also stated that approximately 200 dwellings would be erected in this addition to Petworth. The tract covered six city blosck, with fifteen frontages. The boundaries of the development were Rock Creek Church Road to the east, Webster Street on the north, Grant Circle on the west, and Upshur Street to the south.
July 28, 1909: The Washington Post reported that Members of Congress from all parts of the Union were taking much interest in a proposal to return to the District of Columbia the 30 square miles of territory, originally part of the District, which were given back to the State of Virginia by Congress in 1846.
July 31, 1905: John Cammack, of 3553 Brightwood avenue, reported $1,650 missing, a loss that puzzled the police. Mr. Cammack insisted that the money was stolen from his pockets, but the police were of the opinion the money was lost. Mr. Cammack had gone to the Riggs Bank about noon and drawn out $2,270 prior to the loss (Brightwood avenue would later be renamed Georgia avenue, the the Cammack estate eventually became the northern third of Park View)