The block where the National Archives is located, bounded by Pennsylvania Avenue, Constitution Ave, 7th Street, and 9th Street, NW, was once the location of Center Market. Designed by Adolph Cluss, it was built in 1871. It was expanded in the 1880s with large wings also designed by Cluss.
Archive for Markets
Vandalism of the Rock Creek Market, first with graffiti on June 18th (right), and later with the breaking of two windows (below), has caused concern to the owner and developer of the store. Having to deal with senseless vandalism prior to even being open has fortunately not ended this great addition to the neighborhood before its even begun.
While everything is still on track to open, the date has now been moved to the middle of August. This will allow for the repair of the recent damage and the inclusion of additional precautions against property crime.
At last night’s Park View UNC meeting, the owners/developers of the Rock Creek Market attended to tell the community about their progress, and ask the neighborhood what kind of market they wanted.
They clearly stated that the goal is for the market to belong to the neighborhood. They want it light and accessible, and they want to carry items in support of the neighborhoods needs. To that end, a sheet was passed around to attendees so that they could write down their top three items that they want the market to stock, which gives the owners a better idea of what to carry.
One member at the meeting suggested they take a look at the market in Le Droit Park at 4th and T, as that sounded like the type of market they are attempting to create.
It was also mentioned that they have applied for a licence to carry wine and beer, but that would not be in place for their opening … which is still on track for the end of July or early August.
Another idea that was floated was to have outdoor seating. It was well received and is something that will be considered. Again, that will not be in place when the market opens.
The hours are currently planned to be 8 am to 1o pm. Depending upon community support and demand, those hours may change, but the market will not be a 24 hour establishment.
Lastly, as to the structure, they have decided to put bars on the windows. As you can see below, I think they are tasteful and it was a better option that leaving the windows boarded up like they were.
Here’s a great image from the Library of Congress Flickr pool taken ca. 1941 of Shulman’s Market at the corner of N and Union Sts., SW. Yep, that’s right, SW. After the great urban renewal that swept thought there like a tornado in the 1960s, there is only a handful of structures that have any history to speak of. Not only is Shulman’s gone, but so is Union Street.
July 1, 1922: Morris Cafritz Co., Inc. announced that construction had begun on the Park View Market at the intersection of Georgia Avenue and Park Road, NW. The market was intended to embody all the new features and accommodations of its day, and Mr. Cafritz stated that when completed the building would be the only day-light market within four walls in this part of the country.